Telia Öppen Fiber

Telia Fiber

Untangling a complex business case

This case study consists of my own views and does not necessarily reflect the views of Telia Company.

Telia decided to set up a new scrum team to maintain and further develop all sites related to their fiber business. Without me knowing much about fiber, nor how Telia’s fiber business work, I started investigating how it all fit together. I had to find out who the customers were and what problems they had. I also tried to understand how well the customers understood the difference between fiber connection and fiber services. And finally, how the various fiber sites could be improved from a user perspective to ultimately increase conversion.

Background

How the many fiber sites came to be

As I started investigating how everything worked out, I quickly discovered that there had been lots of parties involved: different stakeholders working in separate groups (not communicating with each other), advertising agencies, an external IT-firm and developers in-house. There were no clear picture of how the fiber business fit together and no one had responsibility for looking at the whole picture. Because of this, the objectives were fuzzy. What I knew for sure however was that Telia aimed to keep doing business by building new, digital infrastructure. The web was just one tool for reaching out to people interested in investing in fiber.

Bringing UX into the fiber business

A big part of my work consisted of syncing with various stakeholders and keeping track of requirements coming from here and there. Getting the whole picture was like laying a puzzle, trying to find one piece at the time.

 

By researching the current customers and the users on the web pages, we started to get a grip of who we were designing for.

  • The fiber customers were much older than we thought
  • Their technical understanding was very low
  • Most problems existed outside the web (problems with entrepreneurs, late deliveries etc)
  • Stakeholders did not quite understand that we were dependent on poor data that was provided to us by their database
  • There were no logs to check how much faulty data got presented to customers
  • The business side to the project was divided in silos & communication was not working between stakeholders
  • No one questioned the requirements & unrefined things went into development

 

Design highlights

The new contact page successfully made customers chat with customer support, so that they could resolve their issues quickly. The bright green colour and the careful choice of copy, made customers hit the chat button and come into contact. Customer support were very happy as this resulted in phone calls going down.
I designed a step-by-step indicator to help customers understand where in the fiber process they are, and read about upcoming things
I improved the page for comparing broadband services by user testing.

Continuously refining work…

I think a website never can be finished. Telia, like any other company, has to constantly come up with new ideas to keep business going. Hence, the web also has to move forward and always improve.